Monday, July 7, 2008

Grandpa's Wake

I have never been one for funerals. They compel me to dwell on my own thoughts of loss instead of the transition and celebration. Wallowing in feelings of loss is okay, but if it goes unchecked it is nothing but a waste of time and can seriously mess with your mind and heart. Plus, I highly doubt those who have left want us to sit around and cry. I don't think crying is much of a way to show how much I feel for someone. Instead, I choose to party.

A party for someone who is died is called a wake and since this is someone special to almost everyone in my family, no ordinary wake would do. So instead of just a one-evening wake, we stretched it out over four evenings interrupted by a viewing and a funeral. Stories were told, feelings expressed, and while big band music blared and fantastic food was consumed, our hearts were bonded and patched. Now, instead of focusing on all the places and ways in which we will miss our grandfather and father, we have a brighter recollection of who he is and are ready to valiantly live our lives with purpose to honor him and prepare ourselves to greet him once again.

No comments: